Have you heard the news? Jesus is coming back! One day Jesus will return to set up his kingdom. The Bible tells us that the time of his coming will be similar to the days of Noah – evil will be prevalent and people will be going about their normal activities. Many will not expect Jesus’ return. For as the Bible describes it, his coming will be like a thief in the night.
How will Jesus come back? He will come back in the same way he was taken up. It will be the same Jesus descending at of the clouds just as he ascended into the clouds. And everyone is going to be able to see him return and they are going to morn, because there will not be ready.
And he will be setting up his kingdom according to Daniel 7:13-14:
I saw in the night-visions, and, behold, there came with the clouds of the sky one like a son of man, and he came even to the ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. There was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all the peoples, nations, and languages should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.
But his coming will not be a surprise to his people; we will see signs along the way, some of these we are already seeing today:
- Spiritual deception Matthew 24:4-5
- Conflict between nations Matthew 24:6-7a
- Natural disasters such as earthquakes, plagues and famines Matthew 24:7b-8
- Vehement persecution of believers Matthew 24:9
- Apostasy Matthew 24:10-12, I Timothy 4:1 & Thessalonians 2:9-10
- Worldwide evangelism Matthew 24:13-14
In other places in the Bible we are told to watch for
- The emergence of a reunited Europe Daniel 2:36-45
- The rebuilding Of the Jewish temple In Jerusalem Daniel 9:27, Matthew 24:15, 2 Thessalonians 2:4
- Globalization Daniel 12:4 Revelation 13:16-17
- An unprecedented display of evil in the world Matthew 13:24-30; 36-43
- A false sense of security I Thessalonians 5:1-2, Luke 17:26-27, Daniel 12:9-10
- There will be a period of tribulation Revelation 11:2
- The world will be united under one government and under one universal religion Revelation 13:1-18
And there will be signs in the heavens:
- The sun will be darkened
- The moon will not give its light
- The stars will fall from the sky
- The heavenly bodies will be shaken
What then should be our attitude then toward Christ’s return. As a young Christian, when I heard teaching about the return of Christ it usually caused a lot of apprehension because of fear of things I would never get to do. But this is not the right way to view Christ’s return. When Christ returns it going to be the greatest day in history.
- It will be like the day when your favorite team wins the championship in football, but much better.
- It will be like the day when your candidate who is running for office such as a governor or president wins the election and begins a new government, but much better.
- It will be like a new year’s day celebration. It will not be just a new year; it will be the beginning of a new age-the kingdom age.
- It will be like Christmas when you received many unexpected gifts, but better than that because Jesus will be coming with gifts and rewards for us!
When that day comes we will not be sorry to see this present age end with all its evil, injustice, poverty and sickness and replaced by the rulership of Christ. But what is delaying Christ return. Why is it taking so long. It is because the church, that is you and I, have not finished our assignment. What assignment? Remember Jesus told his followers in Matthew 28:18, 19: “All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth. Go, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things which I commanded you.” That is our assignment that we need to complete before Jesus can come. The Apostle Peter tells us that, “The Lord is not slow concerning his promise, as some count slowness; but is patient with us, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance,” 2 Peter 3:9.
Let us then stop the delay in Christ’s return. Let us get serious about evangelism, discipleship and missions and get the message of Christ’s out to all peoples of the earth.
Copyright © 2010-2011 by Alan Pasho, www.disciplepedia.org. All rights reserved.
Scriptures taken from the Word English Bible (WEB)